Dobara is a new drama that started airing on October 20, 2021.
The premise is promising. An older woman had two suitors knocking at the door (literally a line from the teaser), and she chooses the hot one, admittedly. It is so refreshing. We have seen Mawra Hocane with Adnan Siddiqui in Ahista Ahista, Sanam Jung with Adnan Siddiqui in Mere Humdum Mere Dost. Now, it’s time to reverse the scene.
Written by: Sarwat Nazir
Directed by: Danish Nawaz
Produced by: Momina Duraid Productions
You can meet the cast and characters here.
Without much further ado, let’s dive into the episode.
Dobara Episode 1 Written Update and Review
The episode opens as a back and forth in time. We see Mehrunnisa in a simple white saree whilst she sees herself in a green dress in a bridal avatar.
Hidayat Ullah has passed away. While the janaza is taken away, she sees herself being given away.
Love the dramatic analogy.
We also learn that she wanted to be a sportsperson but her ailing father forced her to marry her elder cousin Hidayat Ullah. Now that Hidayat Ullah has passed away, Mehru is alive and she feels a sense of freedom now.
And what a chawal family it is. Affan is talking to his girlfriend Sehr. Sehr is telling that Hidayatullah was too old and death was inevitable. Behen, death is inevitable for all.
I don’t understand Mehrunnisa’s behaviour at the soyam. I also don’t understand why the women were so upset. Everybody had taken a pallu just as a formality. Everybody’s hair was at display, so was Mehrunnisa’s. Itna bawaal karne ki kya zaroorat thhi?
Zameer seems like a sensible guy, but Durdana phupho doesn’t like him much.
Then we meet angry young man Mahir stealing money from his step father’s wallet. His parents are separated. Jehangir the father, mother is unnamed so far.
His step-mother Aziza and step-father Anwar, both dislike him. He has a girlfriend who urges him to get a steady job so they could get married. But our dude isn’t serious about things.
I am not sure if I should be biased towards Hadiqa Kiani. I have heard many people say that they are watching Dobara for Hadiqa Kiani. Really? I have also heard people go gaga about her acting chops.
I love her voice, but I’m not sure if she could act. Based on this episode alone, I’m not impressed. Her character is also a bit flawed. I mean…
- You husband died and you deem yourself free.
- You untie your hair and shake your head as if to shake off some weight off your head.
- Even when people ask you do, you don’t cover your head.
- You don’t want to act sensibly at a soyam.
It raises a few questions:
- Was Mehrunnisa not happy with her husband?
- Even if Hidayatullah was a bit strict and bossy, as we saw in the flashback scene, does he not deserve some respect at his funeral?
- Does Mehrunnisa not know the societal norms?
- No matter her motives and feelings, she should have acted responsibly. We live in a society. Even if we hate the person who passed away, we don’t dance at their funeral, do we?
Moving on Zoya Nasir: I don’t like her, no matter what role she plays. I think she goes overboard with her volume and her expressions. Hath thoda haula rakhne ki zaroorat hai. Even in this drama, she is a bit much.
I haven’t seen Usama Khan in any drama yet, so I’m neutral about him. The actress who plays Minal does a decent job in the first episode at least.
I love many other stars of this team.
- Nomi bhai is a legend-always handsome and dashing. His presence illuminates the screen and brings life to the scene.
- Bilal is a fav, and he looks as gorgeous as ever. His character is also flawed. He sounded a bit too loud in his scenes with Aziza. I give him benefit of doubt. I hope he redeems himself.
- Angelina Melik is awesome. I have always liked her.
- Sakeena Sammo is a darling, although her character is that of a stereotypical phupho who objects on everything. EVERYTHING. Remember that breakfast table scene? So bleh!
- Nabeel Zuberi is a decent actor, and he looks so handsome in his opening shot. His character Zameer sounds sensible.
But the first episodes fails to impress.
I have hopes…
The drama is in able hands of Danish Nawaz, the man who gave us the serious drama like Kashf and romantic comedy like Chupke Chupke. I think it will be a fun watch. This has mega pack of stars and our expectations are high. I hope that the team delivers.
I also have some predictions. We all know that Mehrunnisa will marry Mahir. I don’t like the name by the way. We know that he is an expert of stealing things, and we know that he will probably steal Mehrunnisa’s heart as well. I think it is safe to say that Mahir is only playing with Mehrunnisa’s emotions for her monies. This is just a hunch. If I watch the episode, I will know if my prediction is right.
Have you read my romantic comedy short stories? Check them out here on amazon.in. The first month of Kindle Unlimited subscription is free-free-free. You can download the app on your phone, you don’t need a kindle device.